Friday, April 1, 2011

The Year of Zelda, Part 2: Link's Excruciating Escapade


In case you're just now tuning in, this is the second episode of my Zelda Adventure, on which I am venturing in honor of the 25th Anniversary of the Legend of Zelda! This episode entails my journey through the first sequel, named Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.


For many Zelda fans (myself included), this game is widely considered the "black sheep" of the franchise, for many different reasons. Ironically, this direct sequel to the original is the only game in the official franchise that is lacking the title The Legend of Zelda. Link takes off right where the original left off, with our hero of Hyrule on a mission to save the princess Zelda. Her handmaiden, Impa, informs Link that she has been placed under an enchanted slumber, and she will only awaken once the 6 stones are set in the 6 palaces, and he has obtained the Triforce of Courage.


And so with our mission in check, we venture out into… Hyrule? Don’t get me wrong, this game definitely bears its resemblance to the original, but the world and gameplay is a whole new world. Instead of our overhead action/adventure style, we have a very RPG-ish setup, with a small Link wandering around the overworld, occasionally colliding with enemies that pull us into Action sequences, where we put our sword fighting to the test.

I don’t want to overwhelm you with a lot of technical details, but if you’ve ever played a Zelda game, you would know exactly what I mean when I say this game separates itself from all others in its gameplay. The side scrolling, hoping, and stabbing Link makes for a very different experience for us. I’m more than willing to suspend any preconceived notions I might have, but if there is one issue I have, it is that this style makes the game extremely difficult. I consider myself to be an advanced game player, since I've spent most of my life being a gamer. And yet, as I made my way to the Second Palace, through Death Mountain, I realized that this game could bring Any experienced gamer to their knees. There came a point when I began to wonder if it was worth it!

I realize I'm making it sound as though I did not enjoy this game, but it's quite the opposite. Growing up, I made time to defeat each mainstream Zelda game that was released, EXCEPT for this one. This was the one game that I never managed to beat as a child growing up! And so, there is quite a bit to say about it, since this is a bit of a monument for me. I played this game as a kid, but never achieved victory: until now. And so, to make sure I don't go on and on too long, I'll break this review into a few short pros and cons for you.


Pros:

The Leveling Up. While any gamer has become quite familiar with the gain experience to level up model, it's a bit different to find it in a Zelda game. Personally, I found it to be a nice way to progress your magic, defense, and attack. Without the level-up system, this game would be IMPOSSIBLE to beat. It'd be interesting to see this model make a comeback in a new game perhaps...

The Magic. We get plenty of magic use in later games, like Ocarina of Time, but this was its first appearance. In the first game, magic wasn't present, but we had lots of useful items. In this game, none of the items that we gain are actually used in battle, etc. Instead, it's the use of our spells that make the gameplay more diverse. I'd like to see more of this in future Zelda's perhaps.

New Monsters. Actually, this is the first appearance of many monsters we've seen throughout the newer games, such as the Armored Stalfos (as opposed to the really easy ones from the original), and even more notorious, the Lizalfos, which have found their way in some of the best games in the series. And not least, Shadow (Dark) Link! That definitely deserves kudos.


Cons:

HARD AS CRAP. The fact is, many of the Zelda fans in the world are young players, and many of them would probably give up half way through this. I felt the temptation myself a couple of times, after dying more than 6 times against a certain boss. While it does need to be a challenge, it doesn't need to be this difficult...

Doesn't Always Feel Like Zelda. This may be more of a con to us now, over 20 years later, after the Zelda m-o has been better established, but the fact is it just doesn't feel the same. There's Link, Zelda, and some of the usual monsters, but even the music feels different. Actually, it feels much more like a Castlevania game sometimes, with the enemies flying around, and the jump-slash you have to incorporate throughout the game.

Lives System. While I'm okay with some variation, like the level-ups and even the side view at times, the 3 life system is just flat out annoying. There are a few Link Dolls to be found, which give an extra life, but once you find them, they're gone! You can only get them once? That's just ridiculous. Bugs me.


So you can see, it's up and down, but it's still a great game. Although many fans had their issues, this is still one of the highest rated NES games ever made. And so, here are the awards from my experience with The Adventure of Link!


Most Useful Spell - Jump



I know it seems simple, but WITH THIS YOU CAN JUMP VERY HIGH (lol). Jumping around high may seem trivial, but this is one thing we don't often get to do on Zelda games! Also, the jumping makes it much easier to defeat many monsters, not to mention you can dodge better! And I like to jump high.

Most Annoying Monster - Red Daira


This Red Daira is one of the most difficult monsters you face in this game, and they are really only present between the 1st and 3rd Palace! These guys stand between you and progressing to even the half point, and they were the source of my repeated demise... I hate them.


Most Difficult Boss - Thunderbird



This boss is the second-to-last boss in the game. You beat this fool, then you immediately go on to fight the most iconic boss in the game, Shadow Link. While Shadow Link is a challenge (unless you take the easy way out), this "bird" is ridiculously difficult. He can only be harmed after you exhaust half your magic using the spell Thunder, thereby turning him from red to blue and making him vulnerable to sword slashes, which only work against his Face. It took me 7 exhausted lives until I finally beat this moron. I'm just glad it's over.


Most Iconic Moment - Final Battle with Shadow Link



It may be cliché to choose the final battle as the most iconic moment, but it really is in this case. Shadow Link, in my opinion, is one of the coolest villains in any Zelda game. His mirror attacks of yours make this all the more difficult, so when it's finally over, it leaves us with a great sense of achievement. And with the Triforce of Courage in tow, we restore Zelda to health and become the official hero of Hyrule!

And so, with the second installment behind me, I move forward to one of the most beloved games of the series, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Check back in a couple of weeks to find the next review!

No comments: