Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lot's of Stuff Really Not Amounting to Much

Saturday I stopped by Bill's Books and More, a new comic shop that opened up about two weeks ago and is quickly becoming my favorite specialty store in the area. For whatever reason, the Canton area of Ohio is a haven for comic book stores. I can think of five in a less than 20 mile radius but if you open that up a mere 10 miles you're up to eight. Pretty crazy when you consider that when in a large town like Charleston, South Carolina, I could only find one comic store. Bill's seems like a good place. Friendly staff, clean environment, great prices, all that. Their location probably isn't the best but if word gets out I'm hoping they'll be around a while. If you're in the Canton area I'd highly suggest you look them up.

I'm not in the mood to write up any long winded reviews today. I did pick up some good stuff over the past week. Books like Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe (which I was glad to finally get a chance to read), and Secret Invasion #5 have all come out and I normally would write up something wordy about both. However, I just don't have the time and there were a lot of books I've picked up lately I haven't had a chance to say one word about so I'm going to do something a little different and do quick, ten words or less reviews for everything I've bought in the last two weeks. Effective Immediately!

Incredible Hercules #118-119: Lots of fun but I wish I'd trade waited.

What if This Was the Fantastic Four: Loved Mike Wieringo. Didn't love this book.

Nightwing #147: Did I miss the part where this ties into RIP?

Captain America White #0: Lovely. Not worth three bucks though.

Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust: I forgot I'd even read this sooo...

Booster Gold #11: I miss Geoff Johns.

Final Crisis Revelations #1: Wow. That was disturbing.

Secret Invasion #5: Stuff actually happens. Cool, in character, story driven stuff.

Secret Invasion Thor #1: Reminded me of Simonson's run. Which is good.

Miss Marvel #29: I don't know why I keep picking this up.

So there you go. I've been playing catch up on all the news pouring out of San Diego for the last week. I'm excited for some stuff and decidedly less excited for other stuff. One thing that has me baffled is the announcement that Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert are coming to Batman for a two part tale entitled Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. I was under the impression that Morrison was on Batman till well after RIP had wrapped up. If you look up some of his interviews I'm sure you'll find that statement more than once. So whats up? Is Morrison back on once Denny O'neil has his two parter and Gaiman/Kubert do there stint? I certainly hope so because it seems as though Morrison is the one shaking everything up in Batman so he should be the one to start to rebuild.

Plus, Flash: Rebirth? I'm pumped because its Johns and Van Sciver but... why? Why does Barry Allen have to be back? I'm not completely averse to this whole thing but Johns is really going to have to work to convince me on this one.

Image United? Couldn't care less. I like Kirkman but frankly the characters in that book are all washed up. It is cool to see all those guys come together on a project but couldn't it have been something that doesn't come off as a PR stunt.

Marvel made a lot of noise but didn't really announce anything all that thrilling. Mark Millar returning to the Ultimate Universe? Big deal, they didn't even say what title. Frank Cho signs exclusive but they don't say what title. Andy Diggle coming to Thunderbolts is kind of cool but I don't think he'll match Ellis' particular brand of insanity. Really skimming over the Marvel section of news they might as well have not even showed up.

I'll be back with more... eventually.

No comments: